17 June 2010

A tasting week

Barrel tasting week has come around again and I have worked through all the barrels in the barrel room.  The Chardonnay is shaping up nicely and true to form the BeckenRidge pinot is coming around first.  The tannins are still overtly expressing themselves in the Dunn Forest, after about 25 barrels I have to physically unstick my lips from my teeth, drink some water or milk and eat some starch just to make my mouth start to feel normal.  Of course I have to brush my teeth too, gray teeth and a blue tongue tend to scare innocent bystanders and here you thought tasting wine all day was nothing but fun.   It is fun but it also work and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I also attended a group tasting in Dundee.  A number of women in the industry were interested in starting a women only tasting group.  I must admit that generally I am not a proponent of women only groups.  I feel that both men and women have things to offer, especially when tasting, and that a mixed group is better.  However a good friend and I decided to give it a try and bside I can always learn something new.  If nothing else this group will help me taste wines outside my normal scope of casual drinking.
This first tasting was rosés, something that I admit I don't drink very often.   The first picture is one of the flights.  The range of colors is not very apparent with the brown table as background but I hope you at least get an idea of the variation we saw.  I brought a 2009 Miguel Torres Santa Digna Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé from Chile.  I had no idea what it would taste like but happily it was very nice, one of my two favorites.  I thought that it was a great introductory rosé for people unfamiliar with the type of wine.  My other favorite was a french one; Domaine Collotte 2009 Marsannay Rosé.  This one was made from pinot noir and fermented to almost dry.  It had classic pinot noir rosé flavors with a delicate nose and balanced body.  The flavors were quite complex and I thought it would go well with food.  I did appreciate that the group stayed focused and we were able to get through all 11 wines in a timely manner.  Next month is sparkling wines.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Bloom has not yet started in the vineyard but it looks close.  Hopefully the rain will hold off for the next few weeks.  To be honest I am just ready for the rain to stop so that I can have some more glorious summer days.  Summer's official start is just around the corner and I am ready for it to begin!

I also forgot to mention last month that our tasting room has had a face life.  New paint, seats and some beautiful copper sheeting.  Come check it out.

Just a picture of the new moon on my drive home after the tasting on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment